A company rooted in its terroir
Société Fromagère du Livradois is an integral part of the Monts du Livradois holding, belonging to the third generation of the Thuaire family and managed by the two Didier and Philippe Thuaire brothers. It was created in 1949, in Fournols, by their grandfather Léon.
Imagine a green setting in the heart of Auvergne where cows are serenely grazing between 700m and 1200m /2,300 and 3,900 feet above sea level to produce an exceptional milk… It is in this natural frame, nestled in the Livradois-Forez Regional Natural park, on this mountainous lands, volcanoes and plateaus, that Société Fromagère du Livradois daily produces and ripens the 5 AOP/ PDO cheese from Auvergne (50% of the company’s activity): Fourme d’Ambert, Bleu d’Auvergne, Saint Nectaire (dairy and farm), Cantal, Salers and other regional specialties.
For many years, the Société Fromagère du Livradois has maintained close relationships with its sixty milk farmers, all guarantors of an impeccable milk quality. Today, the company processes 65 million liters /17 million gallons of milk per year and employs 240 people. A great development for this family cheese dairy!
7 production sites
- The Fournols site hosts the company’s headquarters and the production and ripening tools of the AOP/ PDO Fourme d´Ambert, Bleu d’Auvergne, Raclette and other cheese specialties.
- The Tauves branch, southwest of the Puy-de-Dôme, manufactures and ripens the AOP/ PDO dairy Saint-Nectaire and cow’s milk tommes.
- The Allanches site in the Cantal department ripens the farm AOP/ PDO Saint-Nectaire and the AOP/ PDO Salers cheeses.
- The AOP/ PDO Cantal of the Société Fromagère du Livradois is produced and ripened in the Salers Saint-Bonnet Cooperative.
These different locations underline the good quartering of the Auvergne dairy sector.
- Since 2001, the Société Fromagère du Livradois is equipped of a cutting and packaging site (Cartry) and a logistics platform, both located in Clermont-Ferrand. The platform facilitates a rapid and efficient distribution on the national and international territory.
- In 2002, the company developed its know-how by taking over the Edelmont company and its Brézain flagship cheese, a wood fire smoked specialty.
- In 2008, the Société Fromagère du Livradois joined forces with Fermiers du Rocamadour to manufacture and ripen goat’s milk cheeses, including the AOP/ PDO Rocamadour.
A Salers cave in the Salers village
In 2011, Société Fromagère du Livradois opened a cheese cellar dedicated to the AOP/ PDO Salers, in the very heart of the Sales village. The innovative place gives light to ten farmers and their cheeses.
In this traditional 300 m² /3,200 sq ft barn with stone walls and slate roof, all the secrets of one of the oldest Auvergne cheeses are revealed to the public. The tour starts in the basement, in the heart of the maturing cellar, where Salers cheeses, at different stages of maturation, are wiped and turned over by Dominique Varlet, the master ripener. In this 120 m² (1,200 sq ft) space, approximately 1,000 pieces of Salers are ripened in the greatest respect for tradition. Portraits exhibitions, film, interactive terminal, tastings, shop, free self-guided or guided tours all year round are all possibilities to penetrate the ancestral mysteries of the Salers making process.
« We wanted to build a space of exchange between consumers and producers, a pleasant place, halfway between History and tourism. The idea is to enhance the colossal work done upstream by the farmers. »